Markus,

The sad part of these scans being too dark is that I sent them out for
a professional scan to a Kodak CD.  I paid about $1.75 each to have 50
slides put to a CD.  I was underwhelmed by what Helix did for me here
in Chicago.  Next time I'm going elsewhere.  Perhaps somebody on the
pdml can recommend a good service.

I agree that a good scanner is expensive.  The cost plus the time
involved in physically doing the scans have kept me from buying one.
I don't want to do the post processing but have been disappointed by
this last batch of slides.  I spent serious time with PSP7.0 in
lightening the results.

The post processing idea is what is keeping me away from digital.  I
don't want more hours in front of a computer screen processing RAW
images.  I was interested in what Cotty said about shooting jpegs and
just leaving it at that.  But for the time being, I'm sticking to
slide film.

Regards,  Bob S.