"Matamoros, Cesar A." wrote:

>         I have wondered how we have gotten along without -S and VR-IS
> technology in the lenses for so long ;-)
>
>         Other than the marketing hype, from reps and sales clerks, I really
> have not had someone explain the need for this technology.  I have not
> checked into it, but how much does this add to the price of the lens?

A lot, I'm sure,  but it may be worth it. At GFM one of the speakers was
John Ashburn, who uses Canon. He had the 100-400 IS, or whatever it is,
and it's pretty amazing...you can handhold it at 1/60 at *400mm*...I
tried it and it's un-freaking-believable.

I have no idea whether or not the glass is any good, but I can see how
some people could come to depend on the ability.

tv