On 2/6/05, Bob W, discombobulated, unleashed:

>Wait until you've flown Virgin Upper Class to LA. Then you'll know what
>comfortable flying is.

Ahar, been there. Well, not LA, rather JFK. Back in 1992 a reporter and I
flew to NY for 4 days following Raymond Blanc around and there were a
dozen press seats in the front of a 747. It was pretty amazing. I'm not
saying there was acres of space, but we had a cricket match in the aisle.
Trouble is, I was working.

>But, you must know that if you check in early enough you can usually get a
>seat by one of the doors or bulkheads, where there's plenty of room for tall
>people.

Of course. There's a web site that details all the seats on various
carriers' aircraft, showing seat locations and legroom. On the way out I
asked for a certain seat, and got it - right by a door. On the way back i
asked for the same or similar but I was slightly late at check-in. A bit
of charming Limey-talk got me past the curtain into the next section :-)
The check-in girl at Dulles (in full BA uniform but with a real Murrican
drawl <g> ) saw I was tall (6'5" in socks) and standing on tippy-toes, a
bit taller ;-)

1st Class to LA huh? Why Bob, I'd always placed you nodding off on a
crate in the back of a C130, Leicas nonchalantly slung around your neck,
on your way to a third world photographic sojourn :-)

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__