i am curious: except for
-- small 6MP sensor
-- mediocre buffer
-- lousy viewfinder
-- crippled mount
is there anything else that a "pro" or high end camera would need to change?
i would imagine that the first two limitations shouldn't cost a fortune to fix.
the finder and the mount might be trickier, but i doubt that's something that's
waaay out of their reach.
the higher pixel count competition (except for canon) is $5K D2X
(APS) and $800K Oly Evolt
(even smaller sensor, even smaller buffer, even less backward compatibility).
it looks like at this point pentax is squarely in the middle of the
pack and only
canon is definitely far ahead. to me, it looks like concentration of efforts on
645D and the new lenses is the right thing to do at this time.

not that i would mind having a pentax 16MP FF camera with 100% 1x
finder for $1000 :)

best,
mishka