Dario Bonazza wrote on 03.06.05 14:07:

> Strange indeed. I compared *istD and 7D at Photokina, and the 7D viewfinder
> was noticeably  narrower. Even the Minolta guy admitted that without
> hesitation.
> Brighter? Yes, I think so.
>
> Yes, it was a prototype, but...
I had an opportunity to test production sample. As usually I used similar
focal length, similar f-stop and looked through both finders simultaneously.
D7D's one was undoubtely slightly bigger and brighter than the one in *istD,
althought the difference wasn't as big as between *istD and for instance N
D70. As a matter of fact I compared D7D's finder to MZ-S too and there was
very slight difference (in favour of MZ-S of course) between these...
Popular Photography has even measured magnification and coverage of both
viewfinders:
D7D: magnification 0.95X, coverage 95.2%
*istD: magnification 0.94X, coverage 88%
Both tests can be downloaded here:
http://www.popphoto.com/assets/download/1142004172027.pdf
http://www.popphoto.com/assets/download/PP0205_Minolta7DTest.pdf
It seems that worse coverage makes *istD viewfinder smaller than the one in
D7D.
Minolta had undoubtly the best viewfinders among analogue AF cameras and as
I can see they continue this tradition in DSLRs.

--
Balance is the ultimate good...

Best Regards
Sylwek