First, Ist D stores it as 16-bit uncompressed file, even though there
are only 12 bits from the sensor.
Correct... 4 out of 16 bits are taking up space storing NO information (zeros) on the -D. That's one pixels' worth in 2 bytes. On the -DS they pack the bits so that they get two pixels in 3 bytes, but it's still completely uncompressed (tiff-format, actually). That's 3040*2024*12/8/1024/1024 = 8.802 MB for the RAW data for every picture on the -DS (11.736 MB for the -D). The rest is taken up by the header info, and the three different JPEGs stored as well. One of them is at full-size (although heavily JPEG-compressed). They run around 1MB for the full-sized one.

Second, D70 compresses the raw 12-bit file.
Third, D70's compression is not lossless, it's "visually lossless",
thus some insignificant parts are lost. I haven't had a problem with
it so far, even under pretty extreme lighting.

I think it's some sort of median filtering. It will remove outliar bright pixels if they only show up in one pixel. Biggest problems are for people using it for astro-photography AIUI.

The average raw file from D70 is 5.5-6 MB...

Frantisek

Canon seems to do a good job of losslessly compressing their RAW files. On a 4mp P&S I used awhile back, the RAW files were usually between 3-3.5 MB. The uncompressed would be 4e6*12/8/1024/1024 = 5.7MB. I *do* think that filtering the RAW data is unacceptable.

-Cory