I have often thought that a compact incident meter would be useful for times when the TTL meter gets fooled by snow, etc. Recently I learned of two compact units by Gossen:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=278209&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=257033&is=REG

The difference between them is that the more expensive one does flash metering.

I seem to get pretty good results with the P-TTL flash metering on my D. Can someone tell me in what kind of situations one would use a separate flash meter? Flash has never been a major part of my shooting, so I wonder if I can save the $34 price difference.

Thanks,

Joe