From: Paul Stenquist [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2005 4:04 PM
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: 'Graphics (was: Re: Buffer speed)

I'm no expert on the graflex cameras, but I know the Speed Graphic has
both a focal plane shutter and a leaf shutter. I've never used the
focal plane shutter, but it allows higher shutter speeds. I know the
Speed Graphic has a rangefinder, which is essential for handheld of
course. I had mine rebuilt about twenty years ago by a great repair
shop in NY. I would try checking the rangefinder focus against the
viewing screen focus before buying. A repair might be expensive these
days. I'm not sure if the Crown Graphic has a rangefinder, although I
think it does. Check the bellows for light leaks. Of course you would
want to at least listen to the shutter speeds. A sticky leaf shutter
can be expensive to fix. Most Speed Graphics have a lens of about
125mm, which is approximately normal. Check for fungus, hazing and
cleaning marks. Mine is a Wollensak lens. It seems to be adequate,
although I think some had Schneider lenses, which are probably
superior.
Paul