How about a ND over the sensor?

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"
-----------------------------------

Bruce Dayton wrote:
The real trick here is that there is a single native speed of the CCD.
If you lower it or raise it, you introduce noise/quality problems.
Minolta offers a 100 ISO setting for their D7D which uses the same
basic chip as the Pentax and Nikon.  However, image quality is lower
at ISO 100 than 200, which is the native speed.  Unlike film, which
gets better quality the slower you go, digital doesn't get any better
once you go below the native speed.

So I guess a follow on question would be - would you accept lower
quality for slower speed or prefer ND's and better quality?  I suppose
it could always be an option.  Perhaps the Minolta choice is a good
one.