On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 09:44:52 +1000, Rob Studdert wrote:

>This little project is sounding quite interesting, I am impressed that you
>consider it within your scope of competence. My question is that if the
>development costs are so reasonable why haven't Pentax done it already :-(

I have given thought to this sort of thing for quite some time.  My
design always had the back being replaced and the main components in a
screw on part on the base of the camera (like a grip strap only
bigger).  The back would have the pickup and cache circuitry to deliver
the data to the base (possibly via fibre optics) and the viewing
screen.  Connection between the camera back and the camera base would
be made by contacts on the base of the replacement door.  The base
would hold the batteries, storage media and controls associated with
the digital side (view/edit/delete images mode and so on).

I had planned on trying it with an already existing digital camera -
just pulling the guts out of it and putting it into my camera - and the
AA battery grip for the PZ1p that CAM Engineering was working on.  This
would give me a 2 megapixel camera for under US$1000.  The only problem
being the pickup sensor size.

 Leon

http://www.bluering.org.au
http://www.bluering.org.au/leon