Doug Franklin wrote:

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:10:36 +0100, David Dixon wrote:

can't check if this actually works at the moment, but I think
you can do this on certain AF bodies [...]
I don't know about any others, but it works just fine on my ZX-5 and
MZ-S.

You need a custom electronic cable release -
You don't need one if you're willing to stand there and hold the
shutter release down.  I've done it while hand holding.

...] you'll only take a photo if the subject comes into focus.
Well, you'll get a photo one "lock time" after the subject comes into
focus.  It does take some (small) amount of time for the logic to
recognize the "in focus" condition, and for the mirror to move out of
the way.  If your subject is moving quickly, and the DOF is shallow,
the part of the photo you expected to be in focus might not be the part
that's in focus when the shutter slit finally starts moving.

or this to work, you'll need an AF lens mounted normally, and focus mode set to AF-S.
Nope, you need an MF lens mounted normally.  I don't recall whether it
requires AF-S or works in both AF-S and AF-C modes.  It's been a while
since I did it.

TTYL, DougF KG4LMZ

Doug, you misunderstand me - Collin specifically asked about trap focus with AF lenses. As you describe, trap focus with MF lenses is straightforward, but for AF lenses my technique stands.

David