In Italy, Pentax has never sold the *istD and *istDS together, at least not intentionally. As soon as the DS came, they tried to get rid of the D as quick as possible, including making clerance sales for all those still in stock after Xmas '04. At that time I was expecting an improved D in the pipeline, but that didn't happen, hence I don't understand well Pentax strategy (as usual).

Now Pentax is publishing a single brochure describing both the DS and the DL (more or less aiming the DS to the serious photographer and the DL to the absolute beginner. That looks like the two cameras might well live together, at least for a while.

Dario

Which proves that DL is supposed to replace the DS rather than
complement it IMHO.

2005/6/17, Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Thibouille <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Just looked at the shop I ordered my D (located in France) and saw
>following prices:
>
>ist-D: 839 euros
>ist-DS: 729 euros
>ist-DL: 809 euros
>
>So the DL is definitely suffering from the "new thing" symptom.

A person "in the know" whom I spoke to recently suggested that the price
of the DL is being kept artificially high for a while to protect dealers
and distributors who have a lot of the DS and need to move them out
before stocking the DL.

Nikon is doing the same thing with the D50 - it's generally priced
substantially *more* than the D70. As soon as existing stock of the D70
is thinned out, the price structure will become more rational.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing

--