----- Original Message -----
From: "William Robb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> For me, a photograph is a true reflection of the reality before the
camera.
> When the alterations get to the point where there is no longer a true
> reflection, I start to have problems.

Statements like this have always bothered me.  Photography, by its very
nature, can never be a  "true reflection of the reality before the camera."

Bill, even you manipulate the "truth" consciously or not.  The very act of
framing a shot is manipulation (avoiding distracting elements, framing to
avoid the starving child in the happy scene or including the garbage pile
with the majestic blue heron).  The choice of film (crazy saturated color
with pushed Velvia or B&W) does not give an accurate "truthful" reproduction
of the scene.  The choice of lens (wide angles with distorting properties;
think big-nosed portraits or telephotos making the moon look oversized in a
scenic) changes the perspective our eyes see.

Even photojournalism is a manipulation, the photographer showing you only
what he wants you to see.

Photography is art, not reality.

Christian