What you say is true, in a traditional auction where you actually get to inspect the items offered before the sale. To materially misrepresent the item you're selling is still fraud even in an auction.
Wigwam Jones wrote:

What you are describing is extortion.  Negotiating after the fact in an auction
is dishonest.  Again, I am not talking about fraud.  I agree that the word
'perfect' should not be used - anyone can essentially say that something is
'not perfect' and be correct.  I should not have used it and I had it broken
off up inside me for using it.  Never again.

When you buy something at retail, you have an expection that it will be as
described - you'll be able to use it as you imagine you will, as the seller
claims you will.

When you buy something at auction, you are participating in a risk/reward
scheme.  You may get something great for nearly nothing - you may get junk and
have to pay for it.  That is the nature of an auction.  Ebay is an online
auction.  It's called 'pay your money and take your chance.'  You don't get to
have it both ways - great deals AND guaranteed satisfaction - unless the seller
is willing to go that extra mile and offer it as an incentive.

Try going to a county farmer's auction where I live.  Buy something at auction,
pay for it, take it home.  Bring it back at the next auction and demand your
money back.  You'll be lucky if all you get is laughed at.  That's not how
auctions work, and people understand that around here.