I have no doubts when a flash magnifier is used: with the light concentrated
in a small area as needed for 500mm lens , the guide number of the flash
goes up sharply, combined with the fact that the frog is at short distance
(4 meters in this case)means the flash can over power the available light
easily.
Using  HSS or not does hardly influence that balance according my knowledge.
Using HSS can help to reduce blurr from the available light part.
If the light of the flash is far dominant over the available light, than for
the blurr or camera shake it is better not to use HSS because single flash
is normally faster than the burst of flashes in HSS mode.
Jos

BTW  nice shot Paul! :-)