On Jun 22, 2005, at 7:52 AM, Fred wrote:

In excellent condition but when it is put vertically the focus/ zoom ring
will slowly go up/down. (the three of them are like this, as someone
said on this list, it's on the nature of this zoom)

Mine does too, nothing unusual for this lens.

I have never been bothered by this (which is not at all unusual for a heavy one-touch zoom). In fact, when I am hand-holding the lens, I like being able to zoom quickly (so the "zoom creep" is actually helpful). And then, if I am taking the time and trouble to set up a tripod to shoot something between 70mm and 210mm, I am also probably also going to use a prime lens
anyway.

So, for me, the A 70-210/4 is a really fine zoom lens ~without~ any
shortcomings - <g>.

I agree it is a very fine lens. I didn't see anything in the above quotes that indicated that this was considered a shortcoming, it's simply a characteristic of the lens.

Much as I find this lens to be excellent, I'll likely sell it because I use it so infrequently. It is quite large and heavy to carry about.

Godfrey