>> I'm going to copy them back to the SD & put it back into the
>> camera, to see if the camera might repair them.
>> Just a guess.
>> But a different reader is in the offing.  That's my best guess
>> regarding the true offender here.

Collin,

I had a friend over recently whose daughter managed to muck up a memory
card so that the computer couldn't see anything on the card, even though
there were 60-odd shots taken using it. The camera couldn't see anything
on the card either.

I put it in my card reader and my Mac couldn't see anything. I tried
using the various repair and restore software apps that came free with my
Lexar cards, and my Canon gear. Nothing would see these mysteriously
missing files.

I tried a demo download of 'MediaRECOVER' and this could see the files. I
paid 29 USD to activate it and we retrieved all the pictures fro the
card. Turns out 2 of them were corrupt and somehow preventing any access
to the rest.

Highly recommended:

<http://www.mediarecover.com/>

Mac OS and Windows versions.