I just posted these two installments to the Digital Users Group mailing list, but I thought PDMLers might be interested.

---- #1 ----
Before I sold the DA16-45lens, I spent an hour or so shooting a bunch of test exposures with it, the FA20-35, the FA28-105, the A24, and the F35-70. I had only a 512M card in the camera so I switched to JPEG *** and did a sequence with each lens at the focal lengths 20, 24, 28, 35 and 45mm, or as close to those I could estimate with the zoom rings, with the camera mounted on a tripod looking at the same subject.

Each series of exposures included setting aperture to wide open and going from there in the standard aperture sequence to f/22. All at ISO 200, Av mode. (BTW: while there is some variation in exposure going aperture to aperture in all of the series, it isn't terribly great and it is hardly any different or more variable for the DA16-45 than for any of the others. Exposure for all the lenses and all the focal lengths and apertures is remarkably consistent...)

The results of that testing I'll put up on a web page soon.

But what I saw in my JPEGs was that my DS has developed a hot pixel slightly to left of center, which becomes evident at approximately 1/8 second or longer exposures. I was curious about this as I'd not seen it before. So this morning I shot a few JPEG *** frames at 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/15, and 1/30 second, just setting the camera on manual focus and exposure and snapping away at a dim corner of my office, with noise reduction off. Sure enough, there's my hot pixel.

In a curious moment, I switched the camera to RAW format capture and did the same sequence. Result: the hot pixel is gone, both from the embedded JPEG previews and from the RAW converted, [EMAIL PROTECTED] image, converted with Camera Raw set to As Shot, all Auto processing and noise reduction turned off.

I'm not exactly sure what to make of this... But at least if I am storing photos in RAW format, I guess I don't have to worry about *that* hot pixel!!

---- #2 ----
Follow up:
I made another test sequence, all in "natural color mode" set on, manual exposure, 1 second exposure. These are the results:

sRGB - NR on :: no hot pixel
sRGB - NR off :: hot pixel
ARGB - NR on :: no hot pixel
ARGB - NR off :: hot pixel (actually, two!)
RAW - NR on :: no hot pixel
RAW - NR off :: no hot pixel

I'm using Adobe Camera Raw v3.1 with Photoshop CS2, and I turned off all color noise reduction and luminance smoothing in the Details slider. I don't know what other hot pixel removal it might be doing as a standard part of processing beyond that. But the in-camera JPEG previews do not show the hot pixel in the RAW files while they do in the in-camera JPEG *** files.

Then someone on DPReview suggested:

WeberPoint:
> It might be interesting to convert the RAW files with RSE, or one
> of the other free converters, to see if the behavior is the same.

Good suggestion. RSE isn't available on Mac OS X, but I have both Pentax Lab v2.1 and Vuescan v8.2.10.

I took the two PEF files (one with NR turned on and one with NR turned off) and processed them with both Pentax Lab and Vuescan. Pentax Lap produced [EMAIL PROTECTED] TIFF files without any hot pixels in evidence, and they looked pretty similar.

Vuescan, on the other hand, with all filtering and color adjustment turned off, produced [EMAIL PROTECTED] RGB TIFF files that looked drastically different from all the previous ones. The PEF made with NR turned on shows no hot pixels, but there are quite a few artifacts which obviously came from the NR dark frame subtraction ... remember, this is an arbitrary 1second exposure of a dark corner of the room, not focussed, at ISO 200, f/8, 1 second. I expected it to be underexposed and the PEF-NR file shows pretty much what I expected in that situation.

The PEF file with NR turned off, however, produced a surprising TIFF file: Vuescan's RGB rendering shows smooth, clean blacks with very little blotchiness or color noise, smooth transitions, and three hot pixels, including the elusive one that I have been looking at. The other two are "less hot" ... the one I've been looking for shows up at 1/8 second, faintly ... at 8x that exposure, the other two seem to surface.

My conclusions from all this testing and investigation:

1) I do have at least one, if not three, hot pixels.
2) Normal capture into RAW format with NR off and processing
   with ACR 3.1 (or PL 2.1) eliminates them. Thus ACR and PL
   must be doing some kind of hot pixel removal.
3) Capture in-camera into JPEG with NR on eliminates them.
4) NR on has the possibility of adding noise in undexposure
   circumstances.
5) Vuescan likely does a simpler, purer job of RAW conversion
   processing than ACR or PL. (I know that Vuescan's RAW
   conversion code is from the dcraw source code library,
   so dcraw is probably doing the same, simple RAW conversion.)

I have yet to decide whether I consider the hot pixels important enough to send the camera in for service, given that my usual RAW image processing workflow eliminates them. I might hold off until I purchase my planned second body as otherwise I'll be forced to pick up my 10D again in the absence of the DS...

Heaven forfend. ]'-)

Godfrey