-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Chris Brogden
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2001 7:11 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MZ-S Price Stabilization ???

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Aaron Reynolds wrote:

> I've heard lots of complaints over the years on this list that it's
> hard to find places that stock the good stuff from Pentax on the
> shelves, where you can come in and look at it and shop.  Well,
> ordering mail-order is the best way to ensure that the situation gets
> worse.

Hear, hear!  I second everything that Aaron said.  It's a vicious
circle.  Local stores aren't as likely to carry the more expensive stuff
because very few people buy it, and those who do often use mail-order
instead.  If local stores see that they can actually sell upper-end items,
there's more reason for them to stock them as a matter of course, meaning
that you get more fun stuff to play with when you browse there.

Would I pay a premium for shopping locally?  Definitely, because of the
many, many advantages.  And if the local shop is *way* more expensive,
then try talking to them.  Explain the situation, show them what other
places are selling the item for, and see if there's some way they can meet
you in the middle, or at least give you a good deal on some other
stuff.  Believe me, they're not getting rich selling you cameras.  There's
a ridiculously low mark-up on cameras, and most local stores can only
survive because of their photofinishing.

chris