I think you're right, David. These are the female structures (archegoniophores). The male structures (antheridiophores)are inconspicuous, IIRC.

Polymorpha = "of many shapes".

Jostein

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Nelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 11:59 PM
Subject: Re: PESO - comment on global warming

Jostein wrote:
Marchantia polymorpha?
mike wilson wrote:
All male flowers. Females are much smaller, star-shaped and closer to the ground.

They look like archegoniophores rather than antheridiophores to me, though that's only going from aussie marchantiophytes. Here the antheridiophores are shorter, smaller and have flat upper surfaces (rather than having fingery projections as the ones in the photo). Plus IIRC the archegoniophores release their spores from the upper rather than the lower surface.
BTW, I haven't come across the word polymorpha - what does it mean?

Cheers,
David