I prefer good flat-panel monitors. The modern high-end models are easier on the eyes, have gamut and adjustability to compare with all but the best pro quality CRTs, and hold their settings far better than any CRT. They have a smaller footprint and take less power to operate too.

Apple, Sony and Sharp all sell excellent 20" displays of appropriate quality. The Apple Cinema Display 20" is one of my favorites and an excellent performance/price point. The US retail list is $799. It's fully compatible with both Mac OS X and Windows systems assuming the appropriate DVI graphics adapter. This monitor outperforms many CRTs costing $1000 and more.

Godfrey