Thanks Jerome. I tend to like lenses that soften without distorting. The lenses
that seem to draw the most complaints in regard to boke, distort the background
a great deal, yielding strange patterns. The degree of softness in the
background is more a function of the spatial relationships of lens, subject,
and background, rather than the way the lens delivers the image to the film
plane or sensor. "Harsh" is sometimes used to characterize a background that is
not completely out of focus. That's not the fault of the lens, but is instead a
function of the composition.
Paul