On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Tom Reese wrote:

I have one that I've used occasionally. It does give odd looking highlights in shiny surfaces including eyes. If you're pointing the camera at non-reflective surfaces and you're close and you aren't stopping the lens down too far then the flash will give you some pretty good results.

What's "too far"? By default is stops the P line down to f13 (from memory).

The flash is pretty small and fits a 49mm filter thread or a 52mm thread with an adapter. I suppose you could use it with a 58mm thread if you shoot wide open but I suspect that you'd get some serious vignetting if you stopped down.

I have used it with a 55mm adapter on a very "hooded" lens (Tamron 90/2.5) and I did not notice vignetting at my usual 6.7-11. I will take a closer look next time.

The Phoenix ringlight fits bigger lenses and is also TTL. This was my first ringlight. It's cheaply made but it works.

Sunpak makes TTL ringlights DX-8R and DX-12R. I have the DX-12R and use it more than the other two because it fits 67mm threaded lenses and has more power.

<irrelevant on digital>
Does the Phoenix/Sunpak emit blue-ish light?
</irrelevant on digital>

Kostas