John,

One way to do this is to switch the body to AF while the lens is still
set for manual.  Now slowly turn the focus on the lens until it clicks
in.  Now push the clutch to AF position and you are ready to go.

I would examine the AF coupling on the lens to make sure that it is
not damaged at all, like the screwdriver blade has been slipping in
and out -  sort of stripping it.  Also make sure that the lens mounts
firmly to the body so the blade can fully engage.

The method I described above is how I have always done all my FA*
clutch lenses.

--
Best regards,
Bruce