If the subject knows you're photographing him or her, the chance of capturing a
candid, unposed moment is lost. Thus, in the interest of good photography, I
believe it's better to apologize after the fact if necessary. I would guess
that more than half of HCB's subjects didn't know they were being photographed.
Thus, lens length becomes somewhat irrelevant. But FWIW, even shooting with a
200 or 300, close to half of my subjects realize they're being photographed.
When I shoot with a 35 or 50, the percentage probably goes up to about 60. I
prefer long lenses more for the minimal depth of field rather than for the
element of surprise, but they help with both.
Paul