Hi Frank ... this is the original, pretty much straight from the camera
except for a little trimmed from the left side.

http://home.earthlink.net/~pdml-pics/dsc07705.jpg

I suppose the answers to your questions are qualified yes, yes, and yes.

Unfortunately, my masking techniques are virtually non-existent, so while
the result is fine for its purpose, I'd like to have been able to preserve
some more fine detail in the fur ... but Eisman's book on masking is coming
up and maybe it'll help a bit.  I used a rather clumsy, heavy handed
technique in doing this, but I'm just learning.

Shel