Rob Studdert (wrote this about tax avoidance):

I think you'll find that it's a criminal offence. I'll be damned if I'm
going to put myself in any even if remote legal predicament to help someone save a few bucks on customs at their end.

Then Cotty replied:

Me me me me me me me!!

Sometimes it's nothing to do with customs and excise, sometimes it's
everything to do with local customs, like pilfering!

Sometimes it's a political statement. Government has an insatiable hunger for $$$ and will always want more. Limit the amount of money the government takes in and you limit the size of the government.

Tom