Jostein,

Duplicate the image - make a background copy in the layers palette.  Change
the blending mode to Multiply. The image will get perceptibly darker.  Then
use the opacity slider to adjust how dark you'd like the image - try around
50% for starter and move up/down from there. You may be pleased with the
result ...

Shel

]