Underneath all those "features" designed for advertising and to make the
customer think he is getting a lot for his money there is a camera not any different in
principle than Steve's SP500. Now here is another little quiz, ready?

1. If they both cost the same, what do the engineers have to do to add all
those features?

2. My Graphic is worth 2x what it cost new 50 years ago. My MX are worth about
1/2 what they cost new 25 years ago. The Olympus C-5050 digital I just bought
off ebay (should be here by the end of the week) is worth 1/4th what it cost
new 3 years ago. What is the meaning of all this?

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"
-----------------------------------

Steve Desjardins wrote:
In 1972 I was 14.  I worked in a drugstore and saved for quite a while
to buy that SP500.  At the time, it was by far the nicest thing that I
owned.  I had a little darkroom set up in my basement and went through a
LOT of Tri-X.

The funny part is I got a new battery for it a few years ago so my
daughter could use it in a photography class.  I shot a roll  of some
flowers just to be sure it still worked.  The pictures were marvelous.

It's hard to improve on certain designs.

Steven Desjardins
Department of Chemistry
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450
(540) 458-8873
FAX: (540) 458-8878
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] 07/05/05 12:51 PM >>>

Steve Desjardins wrote:

I'll second that, although I bought my SP500 in 72.  I sitll love

the

needle.

I am getting right fond of the DS, however.

Steven Desjardins

[...]

Hi Steve,

While I donated my K1000 for a worthy cause, some time ago, I still
have my SP500, SP1000 and Spotty F.
All three are match-needle, my favorite means of measuring light!

keith whaley