On 6 Jul 2005 at 6:55, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> I do expect some performance degradation ... one review on a similar
> product I read suggested about 14-15% reduction in speed using the SD-
> CF adapter in a CF USB 2.0 reader vs using the SD in an SD USB 2.0
> reader ... but in an *ist D you'd probably never notice it.

I just ran HD Tune 2.00 using a SanDisk Ultra II card in my USB 2.0 reader with
and without the adaptor, results follow:

HD Tune: USB2.0   SD/MMC     card Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 4.9 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 6.3 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 5.2 MB/sec
Access Time           : 15.3 ms
Burst Rate            : 5.8 MB/sec

HD Tune: USB2.0  CompactFlashCard Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 3.5 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 3.7 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 3.6 MB/sec
Access Time           : 15.9 ms
Burst Rate            : 3.7 MB/sec

So yes you were correct the adaptor has a significant effect on the transfer
speed of the card but fortunately it's still twice as fast as the *ist D data
I/O system.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998