On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 05:12:26PM -0400, Mark Roberts wrote:
> Powell Hargrave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I have the Sigma 50mm Macro EX and couldn't be more pleased with it.  Sure
> >I would prefer the equivalent Pentax but I'm happy to have paid 1/3 the
> >price.  Sigma has had poor, lower quality, non compatible lenses in the
> >past but do any of the newer Sigmas still have these problems?  Most
> >reviews I have seen of the EX and DG seem to report at least good results.
> >
> >So has anyone had poor results with a late model Sigma lens?
>
> I had the 28-135 "consumer" zoom for a while. Seemed as well built as
> comparably-priced ($200.00) Tamrons & such; quite sharp; suffered from a
> little pincushion distortion at the long end.
>
> I currently own the EX 300/2.8 APO. Outstanding construction and optics.

That's good to hear.  Do you use it as an AF lens most of the time?

I'm not sure I want AF badly enough to pay the $4500 for the Pentax lens,
but I might consider the Sigma at around half that, especially since I
would be able to sell my A 300/2.8 to go towards the cost.

Does anyone else have this lens?  If so, have you used it with the
Sigma EX APO TCs (either 1.4x or 2.0x), especially in AF mode?