I don't have a cdrom, only a burner and a dvd. Strangely the cheapest cdr's I have seem to use the longer lasting dye...go figure :) How old is your your burner? My experience has been that they only good for a couple thousand burns before the laser gives in, regardless of make, though the samsung burners I've been using lately have lasted the longest. About 12 months average.

Feroze

mike wilson wrote:

Feroze wrote:

Not sure if it works, just got it today
http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/CDRIdentifier.exe

This should be a useful tool - I bought a pile of Maxells recently that appear to be defective as I have never been able to get one to burn.

I didn't realise at first that the boxes were buttons, so it took me a while to make it work.

So; manufactured by Ritek, Phthalocyanine dye, speeds unknown. No obvious reason for them being defective, unless it is because it is a very old burner that cannot use the dye technology.

The software only reads information from the burner drive, not from the CDROM.

Excellent stuff.  Thanks.

mike