hey,

Thanks all for your suggestions.

K-mount rentals seems to be completely non-existent.  In Santa Barbara
(and LA), Samy's camera will rent Pentax 645 and 6x7 but no 35 mm
gear.  I had thought maybe things would be different in the big Bay.

Thanks Joe and Godfrey for your comments.  I am inclined to follow
your advice and take just my 50 and 135 with me and try to capture
some sense of the grandeur of a 200 foot tall tree on film.  It might
take some inventive compositions/perspectives.

As far as shooting elk goes - I can't think of a way to find a really
long lens to use, so I'll try to find a 2x tele and get by with it.
In Yellowstone, the elk seem to not notice humans at all and let you
get fairly close.  I was able to get reasonably good shots with my
135.  When I went to Pt. Reyes I couldn't even find the Tule elk -
they are endangered aren't they? - and the only animals I found were
the happy cows that make 'real california cheese'!  I did spot some
blue whales from the point over the lighthouse though, but I didn't
even try to photograph them.. just spotting them made my trip <g>

Again, thanks all and I'll post the results when i get back.
cheers
badri