I've been reading the whole thread, and one thing strikes me. What is wrong
with this picture?
I'll answer myself: Nothing really. It is a very interesting picture,
showing me the life of the ants. There are some reflections, yes, but...

My point is: If you take a look at the ants in real life in bright sunlight,
you will probable see very similar reflections of the sun. That’s the nature
of nature ;-) Light reflects.
(At least in my parts of the globe).

I would say that the light needs diffusion, making the reflections a bit
more like real life, that’s all. Think about it, don't you agree folks?

Tom's idea might be brilliant, but it might be overkill. It might kill the
direction of the light, making it too flat.

I don't really have any idea of what I'm talking about, I have never plaid
with similar objects. So, I may be 110% wrong in this. I'm just trying to
come up with less expensive ideas than ring flashes and other fancy stuff.

Tim
Mostly harmless (just plain Norwegian.)

Never underestimate the power of stupidity in large crowds
(Very freely after Arthur C. Clarke, or some other clever guy)