Oh, c'mon Rob ... speaking as a lone voice crying in the wilderness of the
digital landscape (my apologies to Edward Abbey), I'd not consider taking a
DSLR (certainly not as the only choice) into some of the places and on some
of the journeys I've been.  But then the question was about harsh
conditions, not remote and harsh conditions.

All the paraphernalia that people seem to carry with them when shooting
digital (cards, batteries, downloading devices, sensor cleaning stuff, even
computers) would really be a hindrance when travelling "close to the
ground."

In my mind a simple, strong mechanical camera that can be operated without
batteries if necessary and a few lenses that lack "features" is the way to
go.

BTW, I read a lens review some time ago in which five or six lenses were
compared, and one was given poor marks for not having a full range of
features.  For the longest time I couldn't figure out what features a lens
needs, or could have, beyond the ability to focus.

Shel