The primary cost savings in the design of an SLR viewfinder has to do with the size of the prism and the accuracy which which it has to be assembled. A 100% coverage viewfinder prism for 35mm format is large and expensive, and has to be assembled extremely accurately or it reflects an image which is not what will be captured. The usual cost savings technique is to use a smaller prism and only cover 85-96% of the format total area ... this reduces immediately the size and cost of the prism, and reduces manufacturing cost further as it doesn't have to be assembled quite as accurately.

Format coverage has little to do with viewfinder optical magnification and eyepoint. Those are optical considerations based upon both marketing and engineering requirements.

There is a small effect on total brightness from reducing coverage a few percentage points, but it is mostly insignificant. Efficiency of the prism itself, and of the mirror and focusing screen, influence brightness significantly. Mirrors with semi-silvered components to support focusing and metering cost somewhere in the 0.2-0.3 EV range on light transmission. The focusing screen design and supporting optics count for a tremendous amount ... generally more than the semisilvered mirror. Generally speaking, EV deltas of less than 0.6-1.0 EV are difficult to recognize by eye. Screen design can account for 1 to 1.5 EV changes in apparent brightness.

Magnification again has only a little to do with it...

So I tend to side with John Francis' thinking on this: it was the inclusion into the viewfinder of ancillary information (aperture, metering indicators, shutter speed, etc) that reduced viewfinder magnification in more recent cameras and not a direct result of AF. The manufacturers added this information starting in the mid-1970s as a result of customer demand for more informative displays.

Godfrey