On Jul 25, 2005, at 12:24 PM, Butch Black wrote:

The DS built-in flash works fine as a full-power manual flash,
though: just set the aperture per the guide number table in the
manual (page 149), and be sure the shutter is set to 1/180 sec or
slower.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I haven't used the built in flash on the ist-Ds yet. I have a small vivitar flash that does both ttl and auto. Does anyone know if ttl flash will work with K and M lenses, auto should work just fine.

TTL flash metering with a dedicated external flash unit should work fine according to the manual. The DS is supposedly compatible with both the analog and digital TTL flash protocols that Pentax has used ... I don't have a dedicated flash unit as yet to actually test this, though.

Godfrey