Hello Cotty,

The eye is naturally occuring.  Many of the rocks in the area have
different kinds of pock marks in them.  Some are very small like you
see on the snout of the shark and some are much larger.  This
particular formation has no markings (signs) or mentions in trail
guides.  We were walking a bit off trail when I ran into this.

--
Best regards,
Bruce