On 7/26/05 9:49 PM, "Pål Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> After all, a higher end SLR typically sell 1/10 or less the quantity of entry
> level models;

Exactly.
Here's what Canon are saying.  It might show some of their mindset.

[To tell the truth, we (Canon) still do not know the size and the prospect
of the DSLR market.  If we refer to the past, in the film camera era, SLR
was approx 10% of the camera market.  DSLR market is sharply expanding now
but it is still 4% of then total.  The annual digicam market is estimated to
be 60 million units, so the market potential for the DSLR could be somewhere
around 6 million which is fairly large to fulfill.
The reason why DSLR has not reached 10% yet is because of the use of DSLR is
not well developed yet. The reason the PS didigcam market rapidly expanded
was because it spread from one per household, then to one per person, and
ultimately to more than one per person, depending on how they are used.
This tide pushed up the whole market.  Same for the DSLRs.  Its use has to
be understood and it has to be used for various applications (I think he was
talking about the importance to educate the consumers for its use and
applications).  Otherwise, Canon believe it would be difficult to achieve
the 10% share in the digicam market.  For example, EOS-1Ds has been pushed
into the portrait studio use wherein the 35mm traditionally did not have the
market.  So, it is crucial that the use/application of DSLRs have to be
first cultivated]

I believe this is very true.  Film SLR market has matured a long time ago
and fairly upscale models could be had at a few hundred dollars.
Today, PS digicam has almost saturated most household and some models are
fairly capable.  And consumers are fairly content with them.  Fussy bunch
like us here is not a representative market.  OTOH, even the entry level
DSLR cost so much, and the average consumers really have to convince
themselves to stash out so much for things they do not really see any more
use than the PS's they already have and have been enjoying.  There is a
threshold barriers and I believe that's why all makers are concentrating in
this segment of the market.

Canon were even saying, if you believe it, this is not the time for the win
or lose competition.  That comes much later.  Until then, they rather want
to see all makers work together to push up the bottom of the market.  Well,
maybe...

You might ask then, if it would take time to educate and convince the
consumers (mind you, they are reasonably content with their PSs), why in the
meantime, they do not make ones for prosumers?  A good question.

But I just finished polishing up my cloudy crystal ball and now I can see
@#!?*&%.

Well, Pentax said that they will, announce upgrade models one after another
next several months. Other makers started doing so already.  So....

Cheers,

Ken