> Dave ... it's digital photography -
whoops, image
capture.  Do you expect
> rational explanations for the way all the electrons and electronic bits
> interact with one another?  Just think of the problems various "operating
> systems" have had in the past, and still have.  Why should you expect more,
> or more logic, from your camera?

Because the D1 works just fine and its big brother the D2H won;t. I quess i
expect to much
from a
$4300 camera, but your point is taken.:-)
Its just funny i can get 99.9% good results from a $1300 camera(istD) and 75%
from the
supposedly
better one.
I have been trying for over a year now to work through this and i'v just about
hadit
unless my latest
Nikon trip produces some results

> Just a suggestion - can you shoot in all manual mode, setting the ap and
> the shutter.  As long as the light doesn't change much you should get more
> consistent results.

Looks like that might be my only option unless Nikon has a fix.

Thanks for your time Shel.