I am a new member to the Pentax list and after one day of reading post
thought I would provide my 2 cents Canadian worth on this topic. Will also
send a new email introducing myself.

The only piece of equipment I have ever owned that made me a better
photographer has been a tripod. It has forced me to think and compose my
image and even decide if I want it. IMHO it does not make a difference if
the camera is digital, film based 35mm medium or large format, thinking
about the image and carefully composing it is the way that piece of
equipment assists you in being a better photographer

I do  not mean that you must shoot on a tripod. The majority of my shots on
a Pentax have not but that does not mean that I have ignored the lessons of
the tripod. Shooting more images helps you in being a better photographer
but that is equipment independent and of course if you do not think about
your shots it does not help at all.

There is also a differece between whether or not digital makes you a better
photographer or if digital cameras encourage slopply or poorer shots.
Although I sometimes have access to Nikon DX2 to use, my only personal
digital camera is a Sony point and shoot and it is after over 30 years
owning cameras my first point and shoot. Many of the images from the Sony
are not good photographs and were never intended to be. The reasons I got a
point and shootwere to have a camera I could carry with me whenever I wanted
to SNAP shots away. Often just candid shots of my dogs. If I see something
that really interests me I will come back with the Pentax or 4X5 to take a
photograph as opposed to a picture. The second reason is to be able to
document something whether it is how something looked before I took it apart
or to record the damage a tenet left, I only need the info from the image,
not hang it on my wall.In this way digital has not made me a better
photographer but allows me to take more shoots. If I used the DX2 more or
had a *1stDS or whatever I would most likely use it and immediatley review
the images from tricky lighting situations etc. That is how I see that
digital could make you a better photographer.

Have enjoyed the posting so far however the traffic may be greater than I
want (and do not like digests)

Ivan
Medicine Hat Alberta