Vic Mortelmans wrote:

> No family members or photographers inspired me. For me, the
> most important photographs are pieces of memory. How people
> were, how the city was looking. I'm very intrigued by
> pictures of decennia old; times I cannot remember anymore, or
> times I even wasn't born yet. Once you start contemplating
> such pictures, it will reveal a lot about the lifestyle of
> the people photographed, the social environment of the city
> at these days, and even the role of the photographer, it will
> reveal about the youth of people you didn't know by then
> (parents, e.g.). I hope that once my pictures may serve this
> purpose, at least for myself and maybe for more.

Even in the three decades I have taken photographs, it isn't just the
physical change of the surroundings that are recorded, it's the social
change in society that is captured too. I compared two scenes I took
recently on a main local shopping road, one in 1994 and one in 2004 and the
first obvious thing was that in the earlier shot, a good half of folk on the
street were smoking; it's unusual to see more than one or two in a similar
scene today.

> One more thought I'd like to link to this, is that nowadays
> many more pictures are taken with the digital camera's than
> before with the box camera's. Everyone is shooting everyone.
> But very little pictures remain. Half a centry ago, it was
> common to take an 'official' picture of people being
> together: a meeting of a club, a family at sea, the boy with
> his girlfriend at home,... Then the people were appearantly
> very conscious about the 'historical' purpose of photography.
> Nowadays, this is far less common, although at every
> occasion, almost everyone is carrying some kind of camera,
> but none of the pictures will 'remain'.

50 years ago was so different; 1955 saw the introduction of the second
television channel (a commercial one) and viewing hours were limited and you
paid full attention to a programme shown, a world away from most homes today
which have multi-channel 24 hour 'living wallpaper' which people see in
passing. The same is true in photography where today the quantity of capture
from 'phone cameras to P&S digital has diluted the effect of the image, as
to make the image itself almost disposable, like much of the consumer
products available today.

Malcolm