Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
Using a digital camera as a scanner is generally quick and easy, once you get a setup that workbut the results are rarely as good as a cheap film scanner.

The speed is the one that triggered me by most. My experience with scanning photographs on a (cheap) flatbed-scanner is that it takes a lot of time fiddling about in the applications to position the image, cut and paste etc... I assume it's about the same trouble scanning negatives.

But if my setup succeeds, I'd just have to slide in the negative, look on the lcd if it's positioned ok, shoot and go over the the next slide. At the end, I put the memory card in the computer and I have the bitmaps ready for...

Plus it's much easier to use a film scanner when it comes to color negatives... inverting them in image processing takes a lot of effort.

...processing. Indeed: that's the part that still frightens me. b&w is probably quite easy. Adjusting gamma maybe sufficient to get a good picture. I don't worry about color, because I send them to the lab and make them print all the pictures, so if I want them digitally, I can still scan from photograph.

Groeten,

Vic