Thanks for the reply, Bill.  I'm sorry it's taken me so long to
respond.  Interspersed.

On 8/13/05, William Robb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

I've noticed that the 750 is a bit slow when using higher capacity
cards.  I've got a 1GB card in mine, and once the card gets about half
full, the slowdown is noticeable.  I suppose this could be due to me
buying a cheap, slow card, too.

> It's got all the bad things that go along with the breed, the viewfinder is
> kinda sucky, but the LCD works well enough, and it is pretty slow to take a
> picture once the button is pushed, but all digital P&S cameras share this
> trait
> . It's small without being too tiny. The 5mp Optio I was looking at was one
> of the fits in an Altoids tin cameras, and I decided it was too small, I
> figured I would lose it for sure.
> The sensor is a wee bit noisy, but not objectionably so. I've seen much
> worse. I leave the iso set to auto adjust, so I am getting the occassional
> really noisy picture from it, but I figure that is in conditions that I
> would have to increase the ISO anyway.
> The mode button is a bit stiff to move, which is a good thing, my old Canon
> was so easy to turn that you had to be continually checking the mode dial to
> ensure you were shooting what you wanted to shoot.

I think that the power button is properly located.  I have an old
IQZoom EZY-R that has the power button directly in front of the
shutter release.  It really sucks to try to take a photo and turn the
damned thing off instead.  So I definitely know where you're coming
from in regards to the mode switch.

> It has a cool little light meter in manual, and is pretty easy to use
> manually. The rocker switch adjusts both aperture and shutter speed, and it
> gives a clipping warning for both highlights and shadows on the preview if
> you so desire.

I used the light meter with my 4x5 camera once.  After burning through
my last five Polaroid exposures, I just took the picture with the 750.
 :)  After comparing the meter in the 750 with the meters in my other
cameras and my handheld meter, it seems to be accurate, though.

> Overall, I'm happy with it. I wish it would take an external flash, and
> being able to put lens filters on would also be nice, but I expect the
> camera would get even larger (like the Canon G series), which would not be
> so nice.

Have you noticed the indentations on the camera body?  There are four
on the top where a hot shoe might be.  There are also two on the left
side spaced far apart and two on the right near the bottom.  I've
wondered if these are remnants of features that were dumped just
before production.

> It's a good compromise camera.

It certainly is.  We bought ours for my wife, but I think I use it
almost as much as she does.

--
Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com

--
"You have to hold the button down" -Arnold Newman