> Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:45:03 -0700
> From: John Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
> Subject: Tokina AT-X 287 AF PRO SV 28-70mm f/2.8D
>
> Does anyone have the Pentax version of this lens? I'm wondering how
> it compares to the much more expensive and heavy Pentax FA 28-70
> F2.8. The Photodo rating for the Pentax is 3.5 compared to a 3.1 for
> the Tokina. I've had my eye on the FA for some time now, but for its
> price I could get an FA 24-90 plus maybe a couple others on my list
> (16-45, 50-200, etc).
>
> Thanks,
> Jay T

I have AT-X 28-70 PRO f/2.6-2.8, purchased back in 1997, which
I believe is the previous version of this.  This is a very good lens,
and at that time it was tested very well against other brands.
I don't remember details, but my impression that it was rated just
below the counterpart from Pentax, and way above the similar lenses
from the Sigma and/or Tamron (I don't remember who had what at that
point).
Overall, my lens is very good. I think it a bit soft on with the
aperture one open, but half a step closed down it seems to be alright.
It is rather heavy and large in size, but to me it is worth hauling
it around.
With ZX-5n and *ist DS it is usually quick to focus (if the manual
focusing ring is disengaged). Maybe not as fast as my Pentax SMC FA 50/1.7,
but, still fast enough.

Again, I am not sure how the new lens is compared to the old one,
and what is the difference between the 28-70/2.8 and 28-80/2.8,
i.e. which one is the continuation of the 28-70/2.6-2.8 design, if any.
I was curious about that myself.

Igor