On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 04:42:33PM +0100, Malcolm Smith wrote:

> Best place to buy used gear? Right here on PDML; of the used equipment I
> have got via shops or eBay or here, the most reliable and honestly
> advertised items were mentioned for sale right here.

Despite personal experience (the only piece of used Pentax equipment
I accquired that had any problems was actually from a PDML member :-)
I'd agree with this whole-heartedly.

Other than that I'd agree with Bob Shell - KEH as the first store
I'd look at.  Adorama & B&H are definitely reputable establishments;
most of my new equipment purchases go to one or other of those stores.

Apart from those I sometimes browse over to see what Charlotte Camera
might have to offer - that's where I picked up a 250-600 some years ago.

Back in the days before everything went to eBay rec.photo.marketplace
used to be a good place to look; after a while you could get a feel for
good vs. questionable deals.  That's where most of my other used gear
came from (both my A* lenses, my FA* 80-200, a NIB MX motor drive ...)