Kevin Waterson wrote:

This one time, at band camp, "E.R.N. Reed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

What about the one who caught cold at his inauguration and only lived a month? William Henry Harrison. Anybody since him? As to recent presidents hell-bent on starting wars, I don't recall which wars Ford and Carter started.

Ford - Invasion of East timor by Indonesia had full backing of Ford and
Kissenger. All the weapons were supplied by the US.

Carter - backed a series of surrogate wars in Angola, Mozambique, Central
American, the Caribbean
and was there in Afghanistan also.

Harrison - "Old Tip" new little of anything exept the military
Most of the conflicts during this period were in the frontiers as battles raged against the Indians. Harrison was a leader in these
'battles'.
OK, my post was done in a confusing manner.
The mention of William Henry Harrison was an answer to yours -- "who was the last US President not to be involved in" military conflict (sorry, I have forgotten your exact wording) and since he had almost no Presidency I suggested him. Then I returned to W.Robb's remark about "recent presidents hell-bent on starting wars" and suggested that Ford and Carter (who are recent Presidents IMO, for one thing they're still alive!) didn't seem to be hell-bent on starting wars. I did not intend to suggest that there was no overseas military involvement during their administrations (obviously there were.) Now, are you simply pointing out "involvement" or do you actually mean to suggest that Ford started the Indonesian invasion of East Timor, and that Carter started those other "surrogate wars"? And by the way, I remember that there were conflicts in Afghanistan, Angola, Mozambique and Central America in that time frame, but for the life of me I can't remember any sort of wars in the Caribbean during the Carter administration.

ERNR