On Aug 21, 2005, at 9:13 AM, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> This battery concept, and turning a camera on/off will
certainly take some getting used to. There have been so many times when I've forgotten to turn the 5n off, or forgot to turn it on before trying to
use it and being unable to take a shot <sigh>

The DS' auto-power-off function is adjustable using the "Set-up" menu. It can be set to 1, 3, 5, 10, 30 minutes, or never (off). I almost always leave the camera in my bag with the main power switch on and auto-power-off set to 10 minutes. As you pick the camera up to take a shot, you get into the habit of touching the shutter release, which switches it back on and activates the metering system.

The metering system has its own timer as well. It is adjustable separately from the auto-power-off function: in the "Custom Settings" menu, you use the Meter Operating Time function to set it to 10, 3, or 30 seconds (10 seconds is the default). This setting will adjust how long the metering system display stays active after the shutter release is pressed half-way and let go, without releasing the shutter. Once the shutter is released, the meter display will always turn off in about 3 seconds. (The meter display will also stay active for as long as you hold the shutter release pressed half-way.) I always leave my cameras set to 30 seconds for this function.

The DS power up and meter activate when you touch the shutter release is very quick, such that whenever I grab the camera and touch the release it is ready to use by the time I've gotten it to my eye.

Godfrey