Well in 97/98 when I paid almost $1000 for my Sony Mavica with a little over 300,000 pixel resolution, and the recording medium was 1 MB floppy, it was pretty much the bees knees as far as consumer digital cameras go.

Now where did I put that thing?

Tom C.

From: Bruce Dayton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Shel Belinkoff <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: What Would Make a DSLR "Obsolete"?
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:40:49 -0700

Hello Shel,

Yes, to some degree it is the techno-buffs talking.  The DSLR you
purchase today will continue to take pictures in the future as it is
today.  In some respects, you could consider film cameras outdated as
new models were introduced.  If you had a manual camera and auto
exposure were introduced, some would want that feature and feel their
old camera was outdated.  Same holds true for AF.

There are some who purchased a DSLR knowing it was a compromise for
them and intending to upgrade as technology got to the point they
wanted.  For those, yes, older DSLRs become obsolete.

The areas where some are wanting improvements are bigger, denser
imaging chip, better AF, faster, bigger buffer, better TTL flash
handling.  Of those, somewhat knowing your style, only the imaging
chip would actually have some material effect on you.  Along with
bigger chips, comes the need for more storage space and more computing
horsepower.

--
Best regards,
Bruce