I've seen some lenses with rectangular shaped cutouts in the back, so those probably wouldnt work. And then there are hoods designed with the image rectangle in mind...

Toralf Lund wrote:
Since the "full-frame" discussion re-emerged yet another time earlier today, I thought maybe I'd ask, how about a 36x36 mm sensor? Wouldn't that be the "ultimate" size for a 35mm body and lens? I mean, the elements being circular, surely the lens should handle the same size along both axes?

Of if you simply like rectangles, how does 31 x 36 sound? (Same ratio as 6x7, more or less...)

- Toralf